The second lesson didn't go as smoothly as the first lesson. Cora went into the pool and sat down on the edge without any problems and I left without any problems but sometime during the lesson something went wrong.
Since parents are not allowed to stay in the pool area it was a surprise to me to see a sad child when I came to pick her up. When Cora got out of the pool she came over to me and immediately started crying saying, "I want to go home." She was so upset she was "hiccuping" and tears were squirting down her little face!! After talking to her for a bit I discovered that she didn't like when her swim teachers made her jump into the pool.
Cora loves swimming, she loves playing in the water, she loves putting her face in the water, she loves floating on her back so her ears are in the water. . . she HATES jumping into the pool. I was not shocked when she explained that after she jumped in she was scared the rest of the class.
So, I told her it was ok to be scared but she was going back next week, which made her cry. Then when we got home I made her some ice cream and put some chocolate sauce on it and her father and I let her know how proud of her we are for trying.
She is going back next week. I hope she will be brave enough to go back in the class and I hope she makes it through the class. It is ok for her to be scared and it is ok for her not to love it - but I really want her to make it through the class until it is over. I really don't want to let her quit. . .
We will try to practice with her through the week to let her get more comfortable with jumping in. . . and I guess we will see how next week goes!!
Powered by Blogger.


1 comments:
I am so glad I have your blog to read.