Cora had her first individual swim lesson. Individual meaning that I was not in the water with her - she was in a class of about 15-20 kids, two teachers, and a lifeguard (who is one of my former students - one who remember when I was pregnant with her almost three years ago).
Cora is dressed with sweatpants on under her dress and a coat on over - it was cold but she really wanted to wear her pink dress. (On a side note: I failed the new mom to swim class test - I forgot her swim bottoms and she had to wear only her disposable swim diaper as her bottoms [all kids under 4 are REQUIRED to wear them . . . it took some convincing to get Cora into one since she has been potty trained for so long] she will kill me when she gets older - thank goodness she didn't notice!!)
Her class is called, "Pike" and it is on Mondays from 6-6:30. I drop her off at 5:55 and can come back in at 6:25. I am not on the pool deck - I have to watch from a window (which is very far away). Since this was the first class there were many scared parents carefully watching and wondering how two teachers could keep all those kids safe.
Cora walked in, right up to the teacher and said, "Hi, I am Cora. I am going to my swim lessons." The teacher put her swim bubble and sat her down. Cora never looked back to see where I was.
Once all the kids had their swim bubbles on the teacher told parents we could leave. . . after a few pictures I left. I know the parents looked crazy taking so many pictures but I don't think any of us cared (I had my camera hidden until I saw another parent whip theirs out).
We patiently waited and watched the class through the observation window - talking and introducing ourselves to each other - after all our kids experienced their first swim class together on the same day so we had a lot to talk about. We also watched the kids sit on the side of the pool and kick their legs, climb in and out of the pool, and swim (with the teacher's help) across the pool a couple of times.
Finally, it was time to go back and pick up the kids. When I asked Cora how it was she replied, "It was awesome!!"
(The window you see is not the observation window - that is for kids waiting for the next class - the observation window is a full pool length away.)
I was so excited about this first swim lesson I nearly jumped out of bed this morning with eagerness of the event. This is just a baby step but it is still a step in watching her grow up. I really hope I continue to remember to enjoy all these baby steps along the way and never let one go by unnoticed!!!!
Powered by Blogger.


2 comments:
Will you come stay with me when it is time to potty train Freddie??? Afraid of that!
She is so very cute! Love all the pics.
Yeah Cora! Boo Mommy : ) you silly goose!!