Mountain Biking: Dave had his second mountain bike race on Sept 25th.
Terror at Teaberry
Overall Place: 6th
Age Group: 1st
Race Details:
Distance: 12.17 mi Time: 1:28:26 Avg Speed: 8.3 mph Elevation Gain: 1,167 ft Calories: 1,501 C
Now that he has won his age group he agrees with his mountain biking friends that it is time to move up to the 20 mile race. He was very please with his race and as Cora screamed, "There's Daddy!!!" as he came out of the woods I even saw him smile! No pictures for this one :-(
Running: I ran my first Half Marathon on October 1st.
Freedom's Run
I was so excited and nervous before the race - I wasn't sure I was properly trained to run a Half Marathon but I really wanted to try it! My goal was to run the entire race without walking!
I was warned by many people that this was a hilly half marathon. I thought I would still be ok. It took a little while to get to the start line, it was crowded throughout the race, and it was HILLY. It was also raining, cold, and did I mention the course was much more hilly then my treadmill runs in the basement!! ;-)
I made it through the first 5 miles ok - not exactly sure about the time because the Garmin watch was not charged. ROOKIE mistake - but when Dave handed it to me - the screen went blank. So, I took his watch and he had to run the 10K blind (see below for details on how he finished). In the first two miles - I couldn't take the smile off of my face. I was so happy to be running my first half marathon that I looked like a goof!!!!
The next 5 miles was an internal battle of encouraging myself to go faster and not walk. It was through the "rolling hills" of Antietam Battlefield. I knew that I was not moving too quickly but I was happy to be still running. I wasn't letting anyone pass me, I was in stride with those around me so I felt ok.
Then came mile 10. One last slow uphill and then a long 2 mile downhill end to the race. The farthest I have run since I started training was 10 miles. I figured my adrenalin would carry me through the last three miles - after all, it was my first half marathon and I would be excited - right?!? Well, that plan didn't really work. I SERIOUSLY BELIEVE, that 100 people passed me in the last 3 miles. I almost started to cry when a guy actually yelled at me, "on your left." I was running out too far, not hugging the side (as slower runners should) because the trees weren't cut high enough. I was barely picking my feet up - I couldn't worry about ducking my head every 10 feet too. So he was mad at me - he almost got cussed out, he is very lucky I didn't have the breath for that either!! It wasn't his fault that I really wanted people to stop passing me. But I was so tired, my adrenalin had worn off, I was cold from the rain, it was a 3.5 mile straight run along the road to the finish in a slight headwind, I noticed every crack in the sidewalk, every person who went past me. It was just a tough last three miles. I FOUGHT the urge to walk...and kept running.Above is a picture taken by my friend Amy (who stood in the rain/cold for 2 hours waiting for me to finish!!) as I entered the stadium. Some kids offered me high-five, which I happily accepted. It looks like I had fun - and maybe I did - not sure yet.
My finishing time was 2:02 (not taking into account it probably took 2 min to get to the start line). It wasn't bad for my first half marathon, but I really wanted to break 2 hours (my secret goal). Not sure if I will try a half marathon again, try a marathon, or go back to 5k/10k?!?I can't wait to find the car stickers that read, "13.1" I have wanted one of those for a while!!! That part makes me happy. I am also really happy for Dave and his run.
Dave's 10k run:
He has only run a few times in the past month yet he still ran the 10k along the canal and finished in around 46 minutes. He doesn't know what place he got but it was a good run.
Right now, we are home, warmed up, sore as heck, and ready to enjoy some wings and beer. College football and a fire in the fireplace.
Me - happy as heck!!!
Powered by Blogger.


1 comments:
This post made me teary for some reason?!?! I am happy for you and proud of you. And damn, I forgot that running means guilt free beer and wings. That's motivation right there.
Keep it up, Mama. Maybe I'll figure it our before springtime. OR maybe figure it out on the treadmill?