1

Dreaming of a white Halloween??

Let it snow?!? An early winter storm sent the kids outside early Saturday morning. They were building snowmen, snow forts, and sledding. Dad went outside with them to play while I worked on the weekly chores of vacuuming and laundry. Kids had lots of fun!
I was happy to have snow stuff - although Cora needs a new coat and Luke will need new snow pants before this Winter season is over. I don't have cute cordinated outfits for each of the kids because I buy most stuff off Ebay. I also try to buy them quality warm stuff so I often don't care about colors - more about warmth. I can get away with that now but I know eventually it will all have to match. (If you look closely Luke has on "girl" boots, you can't really tell with his pants on but the boots I predicted he would wear for this winter are too small so he is wearing size 1 boots - they were supposed to be Cora's boots!!)
Luke was so excited about going outside that he almost fell down the stairs to the backyard. They didn't understand that the snow came early and were upset about "missing Halloween." Cora said Santa loves snow so he is coming soon! The concept of time is not quite there yet!
Even Sampson ran all over the back yard like a crazy animal. When all was said and done - we ended up with 8 inches of snow. More then surrounding areas - weather patterns seem to get stuck in this area, making it over one mountain but then wanting to "rest" before trying to make it over the next.

Below - Cora is eating the snow. Had to remind her that the white snow where no one stepped is the only snow she should be eating.
The other side of the storm... While the kids were outside playing, I noticed that the lights started to flicker and I thought to myself that I needed to prepare for a possible power outage. I turned up the heat, put everything on the chargers (phones, flashlights, iPad), located the flashlights, candles, and matches. I had just gone outside to tell Dave that the lights were starting to flicker more and more when we heard loud pop and the electricity went out.

Down the street a large tree branch fell on the wires and the whole street lost power. This was happening everywhere and we were told not to expect power for a few days.

We learned a lot about life without power:

  • we are super happy to have installed the special fuse box for the generator (many items on the first floor are on a "dual" fuse box - one side is normal power, the other side is for the generator. this includes both refrigerators, a few plugs, one bathroom, hot water heater, stove, and gas stove blower)
  • get everything you may need in the evening ready - when there is still light
  • set candles out everywhere (some that are unscented because it gets really "smelly" with too many scented candles)
  • everyone needs their own flashlight
  • the generator needs "stabilizer" with each tank of gas
  • the gas stove will keep the house comfortable but we need to dress in a few layers
  • i learned how to work the generator, which fuse box to adjust for the generator, and how to start the gas fireplace without electricity
  • the generator can run about 8 hours on a full tank
  • the generator can sit in the garage at the edge with both bay doors open and not kill us with poison vapor/gas/whatever
  • the extension cord reaches all the way upstairs to Luke's room for the space heater to keep his room comfortable for he and Cora to sleep
  • the microwave does not work; needs too much electricity
  • no power does not equal no technology - was able to stay up to date on life via iPhones and kids played with the iPad when they needed a little break from puzzles, arts & crafts, etc.
  • swimming and showers at the YMCA are a good way to get around very little hot water
  • it is kinda fun, kinda a pain to loose electricity
  • i am glad we only lost power for a day and a half, i seem to be a little cranky when strange things happen
Trick or Treat will be cold - but probably the only time that there will be snow on the ground.

1 comments:

  1. Erin says:

    Glad you got it all figured out! Any tips on snow boots and mittens? Searching for some that look easy to put on and stay on.

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.