0

Spring Planting

Spring planting - round 1. The weather is cooperating and it stopped raining long enough to actually go shopping, buy some plants, and come home to plant them.
The kids are so helpful. They really love to participate in whatever we are doing. Having a little buddy to help out can be really fun. Sometimes it requires some creativity to find things that they can do to help but in the end it really makes the task more enjoyable!
Digging a hole on the side of a mountain can be difficult - lots of rocks. Dave has to use a pickaxe to dig instead of a shovel but once the hole is started the kids jump right in and "help."
Cora and Luke are helping me create my hanging baskets for the back porch. I have tried many different types of flowers and they never seem to do very well (even with a wonderful watering system from my dad). I think that even though the back yard gets a LOT of sun, that the porch flowers don't get very much. So this year I have decided to go for a plant that does not need much sun but can handle direct sunlight. . . we shall see. The kids were actually a big help with my little project. I set them up and then let them work. I came back to perfectly filled baskets (to my surprise).When we were at Lowe's shopping for all the trees, flowers, and plants the kids ended up getting a few new things. Two new Adirondak chairs for sitting around the fire, a shovel, rake, and 2 hand trows to help mom and dad with the yard work, and watering cans. Luke picked Cars watering can in the shape of a gas can. He walked all around the yard watering everything we planted!!
This planting was adding new items but also replacing some dead trees. A few years ago we planted some trees, many of them made it but a few died in the drought last summer so we had to replace them. I love Spring time and enjoy planting much more now that the kids enjoy helping and allow Dave and I to work in the yard!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.