0

Riding the Bike

Now that Cora has her big girl bike we try to help her practice every day. She is a little scared of it because she can't use her feet to stop her like she does with her big wheels, she actually has to use brakes. This often causes her to ride the bike until it crashes into something or in the grass until she slows down enough to jump off. Little does she know, that learning how to brake is so much easier then the stunts she is performing to stop.

We took her to a nearby park that has a 1 mile loop through the trees and past the playground. We hoped that seeing others on their bikes as well as a change of scenery would help with the "practicing to stop" process.
Luke was a good sport, he came along on his little big wheel and still managed to have fun even though it takes over 1 million pedals of his little bike to make the 1 mile loop!! He just pedals along smiling and saying hello to everyone!
Along the trail is also exercise equipment - this allows us to take brakes and distract the kids from how tired they are. It was only 10am but the temperature was already over 90 degrees, on its way to the upper 90's for the day.
While on the ride we like to stop and look at the wild life. We see bunnies, birds, butterflies, dogs, cats, and even the occasional snake. Dave spotted a little garter snake in a leaf/stick pile. I would never have seen the snake if Dave hadn't specifically explained where it was. Above is the view we had from the trail, below is the picture of the snake zoomed in.
I look forward to Cora learning how to ride her bike so she can ride along with me when I run. (Quite the reversal of roles for me - when I was growing up my mom rode the bike next to me when I ran and now I will have my daughter ride next to me {hopefully run next to me one day too}.)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.