1

Hike to "Washington Monument"

While I was at Basket Bingo on Sunday (a charity event for a friend) Dave took the kids for a hike to the Washington Monument.
The monument sits on top of South Mountain outside of Boonsboro, Maryland.
The ride takes about 15 minutes to get there from our house and is just off of the Appalachian trail.
From the parking lot to the monument is a simple and short hike of about 300 yards.
The kids enjoyed the walk to the monument and the small playground that was nearby.
At the monument you can climb to the top to see the beautiful views.
Since it was a chilly day they had the monument all to themselves.
It was relatively clear and you can see quite a bit of the surrounding area.
After the monument they hiked further along the trail about 1/3 of a mile further.
The trail was rocky and steep so they couldn't go very far but as the kids get more practice hiking they will be able to go further and further.
Dave said that Cora walked the whole time - about 1 mile in all and he had to carry Luke just a little. Dave thinks Luke was more hungry then tired from walking which is why he started to get grumpy. I can't wait until we can go again on a nice day, have a nice picnic lunch, and maybe hike even further!

1 comments:

  1. Jason says:

    I wanna go there. I will need to get more information from you about where exactly this is. My wife and I like to hike.

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.