0

Washington County Wild Life


Farm country is where we live - mostly farm animals are what we see; cows, sheep, goats, pigs, chickens, and horses. But sometimes we get to see other animals . . . like a flock of turkeys.  One morning about 25 turkeys went walking across the back yard.  I originally thought they were vultures but when I ran outside banging a wooden spoon against a pan getting a closer look, I quickly realized there was no injured animal that needed saving - just a bunch of BIG birds that were out for a walk.


We also were lucky enough to have a ringneck peasant come visit us.  He was running around on the driveway (fast little bugger) when Dave went out and snapped a picture of him before he ran off.  There are not many of these birds left living around here so it was nice to see this guy out for a morning stroll.

Cora loves all the animals - the stray cats we feed nightly, the deer that walk through the backyard and eat our neighbor's apples, the ground hogs that dig tunnels through our rock walls and the birds flying and walking around.  Of course her favorites are still the barn animals that instead of identifying by name she identifies by sound, often a cow is not a "cow," a cow is a "moo" (her cousin Andrew did the same thing - I think it is a phase that all kids go through!)  

This summer we are going to add a dog to our family - Dave will finish putting up the fence so by June the Gentzel's of Pondsville Road will have more "stuff" to do and "things" to take care of!!  We are watching the local humane societies for a suitable dog (I am still trying to talk Dave into another Great Dane - however he says, "ABSOLUTELY NOT").  We will see!! ;-)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.