Last night we moved Cora out of her crib. . .
The first picture is Luke's "old" crib - the one that his cousins were nice enough to loan to us. When Luke came home from the hospital Cora wasn't ready to give up her crib - so we needed another one!

The second picture is Luke's "new" crib - this one was Cora's crib. She will eventually get it back because it transitions into a big girl bed with a headboard and footboard.
Why the move????
Luke is standing up in his crib and he is making attempts to climb out. Luke's crib was wonderful when he was smaller - but now that he can stand up we need a deeper crib that he can't climb out of. We took out his "bumper" and only have one item in there for him to look at - we can't allow him anything to stand on to boost him over the edge!! Luke slept in his new crib last night - he did well, he woke up a few times but seemed to make the adjustment without much fuss.
Cora's "new" bed. . .
We pulled one of the old guest bedroom mattresses up from downstairs and put it on the ground, made the bed and told Cora this was her new big girl bed. (I feel kind of bad that she doesn't get anything brand new and "girly" but I wasn't ready to re-do her whole room yet. I didn't expect to be moving her until this summer - so we had to make due with what we had in the house.)
When it was bed time we went into the room, we sat in the chair and read our books, sang our songs, and got ready to climb into bed. . . until she realized her crib was gone. . . she started crying. . . saying, "No bed!"
I "helped" her into bed and laid her down. I turned out the light then sat next to her and sang her a couple more songs. We said, "Good night" to her animals and we said our I love you's and I got up and left the room.
As I left she started to cry again - I could tell she was scared - but I wanted to give her a few minutes to self-soothe herself. Talk about tough love - I sat outside her room on the steps and cried with her. I cried because I knew she was scared, I cried because I was sad that she isn't a baby anymore, I cried because as happy that I am my kids are getting bigger - it also makes me sad.
Within 5 minutes she stopped crying and started talking to her stuffed animals. She had a couple of other tears and cries in the first 30 minutes - but after that not a peep all night. This morning she woke up and started talking to her animals again - just like she did when she was in her crib. She waited for us to come get her, she didn't get up all night.
One night down. . . with little to no resistance - let's see how tonight goes!!
Powered by Blogger.


0 comments: