Frederick, Maryland has a yearly festival called, "In The Streets" where restaurants and "everything Frederick" set up displays along Market Street (the main street in Frederick). This is an all day event with bands, food, drinks, and kid activities. The evening is a big party which Dave and I used to enjoy but now we just head to the day events including the Market Street Mile. This is a one mile race that is very friendly as it is mostly down hill :-) We decided to enter the race in the family race and see how we do!!Our little racers. This was Cora and Luke's first race. They were super excited and I was strangely nervous. I was so excited to see how they would do, especially Cora who asks every day to run on the treadmill. She runs anywhere from a 1/2 mile to 1 mile at a 15 min pace. She loves it and gets mad if I don't let her do it, "one more time."
I REALLY wanted to run with Cora - I had a feeling she would do great, but I REALLY wanted her to have FUN - so I had Dave run with her. I knew he would allow her to run as fast as she wanted and not push her. He would allow her to have all the fun in the world, and she did. Dave said she ran the race with a smile and giggling.
She was just adorable...receiving cheers and high-fives from the people along the race course and when she finished and received her medal you would have thought she won the gold medal in the Olympics!!! Her face glowed and the medal is hung on her wall by her bed so, "I can see it every night!"Luke, well, that is a different story. He sprinted the first 100 meters, realized that people were passing him and then he started to cry. He was so frustrated that Cora was so far away that he wanted "up" and to walk.
I kept him happy with promises of seeing Daddy, Gigi, Cora, and whatever I could think of. Since the streets were lined with venders, I handed him a balloon, he received an American Flag, and wanted to stop and pet all the animals in the petting zoo!!! When Dad finished he came back and ran with us - which helped for a while - then when he saw the finish line he sprinted again!! His face also lit up when they placed his finisher medal on his neck. He was a proud kid!!
Cora finished the race in 10:42 and Luke in ?? (waiting for official race results to be posted).
What a GREAT DAY!!!!!!!
Powered by Blogger.


0 comments: