0

Earings

Cora gets her ears pierced!!!!
We walked in the store at 11:45 to find ourselves 7 deep in line. Also, since we needed both ears done at the same time, we had to wait until noon when the other associate came in (all 7 people needed both ears done at once). Cora was fine while we walked around the store (Claire's) to see the jewelery, hair accessories, fun stuff, Halloween costumes, purses, hats, and whatever else they can cram into that small store. It wasn't until she saw another little girl crying that she decided she didn't want to get her ears pierced anymore.

It took walking around the store with a basket of bribes to convince her that she still wanted to get her ears pierced. When it was her turn the ladies talked to her about what was going to happen. I showed her that she would sit in the chair, they would "pinch" her ears, then I would pick her up and hug her.

It went exactly as I described it. The ladies counted to three, pinched her ears (you should have seen her face when it happened), and I picked up my crying child. The first thing she said is, "Why did they pinch so hard?!?"
Pictured above are some of the bribes I offered her, a lollipop and a magic wand. I told her I was taking her picture and she said, "Wait mommy, I want to hold my lollipop and wand to show Daddy and Luke that I have all this AND earings!"
When we were walking around the store looking at stuff she was looking at "Peace Sign" necklaces and bracelets. She picked out one that she said she "really wanted." I said, "But Cora, these are Best Friend necklaces, you don't need two, get one of these so you only have one." She replied, "I want two Mommy, because there is one for you and one for me, because you are my best friend." As tears filled my eyes and the weight of the guilt of what I knew was about to happen to her ears almost overwhelmed me, I said, "Thank you honey. I will be happy to have a matching necklace." She then leaned in and hugged me a "squeezer hug" and said, "Love you Mom." Thanks Cora - I needed that!!! :-)
After the ears piercing (and my heart being pierced by her kindness) we went to get ice cream. We both needed to relax. I was a sweaty anxious mess and she had just about stopped being upset about her ears. She said, "we both need a treat Mommy."
Then on the way home, I let her have some of her lollipop (can you say guilt). She had such a great day with all her special treats and stuff she came home with... she even said at dinner time, "My ears don't hurt anymore but I NEVER want to get my ears pierced again!"

GOOD!!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.