On a hot summer morning we decide to take the kids golfing for the first time. We went into a local pro-shop and had the kids sized for their first set of clubs and eventually ordered them a set to share. According to the measurements - Cora is 44 inches and Luke is 41 inches (with shoes) - they are just about in the same size club set. This set will be for hacking around the back yard until they are old enough to join the junior golf program. Kindergarten is the youngest I could find official lessons for - so until then the objective is to learn and have fun!!
Club Information:
Acceptable Height Range 42"-48". Approximate ages 5-7. Designed for the beginner to intermediate player with club heads that are 24% lighter than adults. The flexible shafts help the developing player get the ball up into the air with ease.
5-Club Stand Bag Set includes:
- Composite shaft 3 wood
- Composite shaft 6 iron, 8 iron, and PW
- Steel shaft Putter
- Blue Dual Strap Stand Bag
We decided to pick this set as opposed to the smaller set because of the kids height. The smaller set would be more appropriate for their ages but the clubs were too short. They have time to learn how to hit these clubs so we aren't worried!
After all the excitement about getting the clubs, things seemed to go slightly down hill. Luke was super excited for the first 20 balls but then got frustrated. Cora didn't like it at first and wanted to sit in the shade but then warmed up to the idea after about 30 minutes. The temperature was almost 90 degrees at 10am so I am not surprised that they preferred to sit in the shade drinking their water rather then be in the sun. Cora wanted her ball to go farther, "like Mommy and Daddy." Luke wanted to play hockey and chase after the balls.
(There are no pictures of Luke because I couldn't get one of him with something that resembled a smile - I missed my window in the first 20 minutes.)
Putting seemed to briefly cheer them up because the ball went into the hole. However, Luke got upset with putting when he took a full swing on the green and also a big chunk out it (oops!!). I did my best to repair it but the damage was done - both to Luke and the green. I yelled at him to "stop" when I saw him swinging and the sensitive kid that he is - it was over! The green will have quite a divot for a while!!
Overall, I felt like it was a good start. We will have clubs to use in the back yard and we are going to play some mini golf to infuse some fun into putting!! As much as I am enjoying golf, I hope that I may play with them one day!!


0 comments: