Last summer after watching the Golf U.S. Open, Dave and I saw that the next one would be at Congressional Country Club, a golf course about one hour South-East of us. We decided to enter our names into a lottery, just to be able to buy tickets you have to put your name into a lottery. In September we found out that our names were drawn and we could purchase tickets. We could only purchase two tickets for two days (it is a four day tournament). We picked Friday and Saturday. Friday so it would be less crowded and you could watch all the people who didn't make the cut and Saturday so we could see who would be leading going into Sunday.
Dave went with his friend Scott on Friday. He left the house at 5am and they got to the course by 7:30. Dave and I went on Saturday with the same time arrival to the course.
We had a great time. Walking around the course watching different groups for a while then staying at one hole and watching a few groups come past. The days were warm so standing in the sun for a while was tough. It was very crowded on Saturday and often we were in the third row of spectators unless you camped out for a while and could slowly move your way to the front. 
We were very happy to watch the final round on Sunday at home!!
There will be many stories written about the amazing play of the 22 year old Rory McIlroy, it was nice to watch him keep his composure and listen to people all over the course cheer him on. I kept getting goose bumps watching him and I am happy that I was lucky enough to say, "I was at the U.S. Open when he won recording a score of 16-under."
On Sunday four days of flawless golf finally ended when McIlroy polished off a 2-under 69 to shatter U.S. Open records that simply defy logic at the major known as the toughest test in golf.
Powered by Blogger.


0 comments: