1

"My mommy broke my brother's leg."

Unfortunately, Cora is telling everyone, "My mommy broke my brother's leg." The sad part is that it is true!!! Sunday, after a GREAT BIRTHDAY PARTY for Atlee, Luke woke up from his nap and I was carrying him down the stairs so he would be quiet and not wake Cora up. . .we only went about two steps down when I slipped and fell! I started to fall forward, slipped - swung around hit my head on the banister, caught myself with some weird strength and pulled myself backwards with such force that I "skied" down a few steps before I slammed back against the steps. I was holding Luke on my hip and his leg was between my back and the steps.

My first reaction was, "Oh my God Dave, I broke Luke's leg." That was said through tears as I handed my son off to my husband because I couldn't move yet from the pain I was in. It didn't take long to see we had to take Luke to the hospital.

4 hours and two Xrays later it was confirmed . . . Luke has a broken leg. It is called a "Spiral Fracture." Imagine breaking an egg, from the point of impact spread out across the shin bone. I walked away with only some bruises and a sore tailbone while my poor baby has a broken leg. It has taken me so long to post this because of the GUILT I have felt watching him scoot around and listening to him cry "OUCHY" in pain.

To make matters worse, when he left the hospital Sunday night the hospital only gave us a prescription for pain medicine . . . however, nothing is open at 9pm to fill the prescription, so Dave had to drive back to the hospital when we realized that the pain medicine wore off around 11pm and Luke was in TERRIBLE PAIN and then it took an hour for it to work again so by 12:30 am Luke finally passed out.

Monday found us trying to keep him still and entertained. He was still in a lot of pain and the "liquid Morphine" medication was starting to make him sick and he eventually threw up (twice). The Pediatric Orthopedic didn't want to see him until Tuesday so that the swelling would go down before he put the cast on.
Here he is after getting his *waterproof* cast. I have no idea how this will work. We are supposed to be on vacation starting tomorrow. . .at the beach!! I was given strict instructions NOT to get sand inside the cast because it will greatly irritate the skin. He is in the cast until September 3, SIX weeks!!! It is a full leg cast and he is not allowed to walk on it!!

For as sad as I am about it things are already starting to look up. HE is learning how to scoot around and very much adapting to his new situation. The waterproof cast will allow him to at least enjoy the pool and there are a lot of walks, jogs, and playing inside in his future for the next 6 weeks!!!

1 comments:

  1. Erin says:

    Um, I am very much convinced that *nothing*, absolutely nothing, is going to stop Luke. Good luck with that, Mama!

    Sorry that you are both feeling pain. Thinking about you quite a bit.

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.