0

Titanium Girl

In early March, before my Rock and Roll Half Marathon I was reading about races in the area and came across the "Titanium Girl Challenge."  This was during the time when I was super excited about running and racing and just "knew" that I was going to do AMAZING in the Rock and Roll Half Marathon (we all know how that turned out "The Good, The Bad, and The UGLY.")  So I signed up!!

Titanium Girl Challenge
The 2012 Athleta Iron Girl Columbia Half Marathon (April 29 and the 2012 Frederick Running Festival (May 6, 2012) teamed up to offer women the ultimate endurance test.  If you finish both half marathons in the span of one week, you will earn the coveted title of Titanium Girl 2012!  Yours to keep is an awesome 2012 Titanium Girl medal and exclusive bragging rights!  Medals will be available at the conclusion of the Frederick Running Festival. 

Race 1:  April 29 - Iron Girl Columbia Half Marathon:
Venue:  The Athleta Iron Girl Half Marathon is held in Columbia, MD amidst rolling hills between Baltimore and Washington, and is 15 mi. from BWI Airport.  The unique 13.1 mile run course is a single loop course with miles 11-12 retracing miles 1-2. You will wind through Columbia, MD passing the many blooming Cherry Trees.



Race Morning:
I did everything wrong for this race, shopping and on my feet the entire day before, was actually in line for the porta potties when the race started, didn't start my watch for a few minutes into the race and couldn't figure out why my mile splits were so "off" from the official splits...  But the race seemed to be just. . . 

The plan was to use this race as a workout and to actually "race" the second one because it was to be a faster course, less hills.  I was supposed to go out the first three miles conservatively (to prevent the meltdown that happened in the R&R Half) at an 8:30 pace, like an easy warm-up.  Then for the middle seven miles to run at 8-8:15 pace, really try to push the pace.  For the last three miles it was to be a cool down, not worrying about the pace - just getting to the finish.  I was worried because I had tried a tough workout four days before the race and not done as well as I wanted, I was worried because I had been watching the weather and the Frederick Race was going to be HOT, I was worried because I was so sad after my last failure... what if I missed my goal again... But then the race started...and...

I felt good, it was perfect running weather, a cool 50 degrees.  I had my plan, to do the workout; I had my secret plan, that if I was feeling ok, I was going to go for my sub-1:45 time; and I had my back-up plan of, "this is just for fun, I am not resurrecting a mediocre running career... I am just happy to be out here."  As the race progressed...surprisingly, it didn't seem so bad.   I even ran into a life long friend out on the race course - we talked as best as you can during a race then went on our way!! When I wanted to go faster, I did; when I wanted to go slower, I did; when I wanted a drink I stopped and took a drink. I felt like Forest Gump out there! I kept an eye on my watch and had an idea of where I was, but was constantly confused because I forgot that I started my watch late...thinking to myself that the people who measured this course were not so smart...

After I pushed myself through the seven workout miles, I gave myself a break and took it easy for mile 10.  I wanted to settle down my pace but not too much because I wasn't feeling that bad.  This time I actually felt ok instead of dead; this time I felt strong, no one was passing me, I was passing others... Then the best thing happened, the race finishes on a 1.75 mile downward incline!!  I am superfast at down!! :-)  So off I went, I picked up my pace by letting my giraffe legs do their thing... finishing the last two miles at 7:37 and 7:26!!  As I crossed the line I saw that the time clock said 1:49:59, I smiled because I knew that my chip time (attached to my shoe measuring when I crossed the start and finish) would be faster... then on the way home...... it happened...... my friend called me and told me my official time....................

Official Results: 
Erin Gentzel F 36 Smithsburg MD  1:44:45 
8:00 (average pace per mile)
Place 96 out of 1700 finishers (Top 5% *all woman race)
Age Group (35-39) 18 out of 320 (Top 5%)

The Race According to my Garmin:
Split
Time


Summary1:45:23    12.96       8:08
18:32.6

28:17.5

37:31.1

48:16.9

57:54.8

67:47.1

78:49.8

87:51.4

98:30.2

108:19.9

118:29.1

127:36.7

137:26.6

**Remember I started this darn thing late... a fact that I did not remember until later in the day - running fries my brain...


WOOOOHOOOO!!!!  I did it!!!   :-)

My Facebook post read:

Race 2  Frederick Half Marathon  -  May 6, 2012:
The first mistake I made for this one was that all week until Thursday, I thought the race was Saturday morning... but no, it was not, it was on Sunday morning.  So all the plans and visions I had for my spectators and logistics went to crap... and I was stressed.  But Dave and my Mom to the rescue and they solved all problems by recruiting Amy to help.  They coordinated, planned and everything worked out...road closures, rain, running around to different cheering spots with four small children; Dave dropping me off, cheering and then making it to his bike ride an hour away, dust, rocks, dirt, and all!!! :-)  They were amazing!!!

The Race According to Me:  The course was much flatter then the Columbia race and should have been faster, being on Sunday the weather was cooler (but high humidity - 100%!!) and that also should have helped... but either I was truly tired from the previous week or I was mentally tired, I just couldn't seem to get myself moving fast.  This race felt more like my Saturday morning runs then a race.  I had to fight my way through this one!!  I didn't have a great plan going in - I was going to try to hang out around 8-8:15 and after the first three miles I would let myself go faster if I could...



The Race According to my Garmin:
Summary 1:48:46.0 13.11 8:20
1 8:09.3
2 8:06.1
3 8:06.9
4 8:05.5
5 8:23.0
6 8:12.7
7 8:25.9
8 8:27.2
9 8:01.5
10 8:55.9
11 8:14.7
12 8:24.2
13 8:07.7

Official Results:
Chip Time:  1:48:45      Pace:  8:18 per mile
Overall Place    582/4140 (Top 14% *includes men/women)
Gender Place   151/2387  (Top 6%)
Age Group     24/404       (Top 6%)


 I am very happy with this racing cycle...I am happy I hit the goal I was working on.   I am looking forward to running what I want, when I want, as fast as I want.  I am planning on a few things for Summer some 5K's 10K's and maybe some time on the track with the Frederick SteepleChasers... for Fall - one maybe two Marathons... Still seeking to beat those adult running goals:

  • break 21 minutes for a 5k (3.1 miles)
  • break 45 minutes for a 10k (6.2 miles)
  • break a 1:45 half marathon  Check  :-)
  • break a 4 hour marathon.


































































0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.